Friday, April 13, 2018

Easter 2 Our Savior 1

Easter 2: Our Savior

April 8, 2018

Homily

Today’s a day that when I was first ordained many years ago was called a low Sunday because the rush of people who came to church on Easter didn’t come back for Easter 2.

That’s not so true in my experience 30 years later because it seems to me there are a lot fewer “Christmas and Easter” Christians these days. Generally I think that’s a good thing. There is nowhere near the social pressure on people in today’s culture to appear in church. It’s more acceptable just not to go to church.

You all are in church because you want to be. And I think that’s increasingly true around the Episcopal Church. Maybe other denominations as well. I’m glad to see you here.

For many years now I have approached the pulpit on the Sunday after Easter with the shadow of Thomas following close behind me. “Doubting Thomas” stalks me on this day. I have composed and given so many sermons on the close relationship between doubt and faith that I can not count them.

I encountered Thomas as the founder of an ancient Christian community while I was living in Hawai’i. There was a student from India at UH. He met someone and fell in love. They wanted to be married. Not such an unusual event.

Then it got more complicated. They were involved in a local faith community – not St. Mary’s Episcopal Church. But his parents were lifelong members of an ancient Christian community in India called the Mar Toma Church. No one really knows how old that church is, or when it first arrived in India, but the legend that it was founded by Thomas himself is given a certain amount of weight by historians. It’s been around a long time. And the Mar Toma Church is in communion with the Anglican Communion – and in Hawai’i that Anglican Communion is represented by the Episcopal Church. St. Mary’s was one of the closest Episcopal churches to the main campus of UH.

The couple wanted to use my church for their wedding so that the parents would feel satisfied that there was a connection with their ancient church in India. I gave permission.

The Thomas I encountered there was not one who struggled with faith, looked for evidence, “doubted.” That was a Thomas who was so empowered, so motivated, so excited, so inspired by the Gospel of Jesus Christ that he traveled as far away as India, founding Christian communities along the way.

I mention this because, while it is true that Thomas is right behind me, having just read the narrative about Jesus appearing to him a week after Easter, I am far more aware today of a different kind of person somehow just behind me and whispering my name, “Dale”.

1 John 1:1–2:2 We declare to you what was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we have looked at and touched with our hands, concerning the word of life– this life was revealed, and we have seen it and testify to it, and declare to you the eternal life that was with the Father and was revealed to us– we declare to you what we have seen and heard so that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. We are writing these things so that our joy may be complete.

Today I am stalked by a different voice. It’s a different tone from the one before. “Doubting Thomas” is highly rational, looking for evidence, like a scientist.

The voice I hear today is softer. More understanding of the differences among people. It wants to empower communities of peace and service to the poor and the outcast.

I’m thinking of the people who taught me, spoke to me, witnessed to me, in such a way that I am more sure of Christ’s presence than I was when I was young.

I stand before you because of … counteless others who have gone before me to make sure that I could stand here before you this day. The 20th chapter of John’s gospel ends:

… Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book. But these are written so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name.

That might well be the way the gospel ended in its earliest edition. In any case, the next chapter which is the last in John’s gospel ends with almost the same words.

In way or another, my friends, we give witness here today, so that all those coming after will know the truth that can set them free.

Sermons I have known

“Sir we would see Jesus” (John 12:20)

Pasted on the inside of a high and ornate pulpit in Germany. The story related by a Lutheran turned Episcopal priest.

Some Greeks Seek Jesus 20 Now among those who went up to worship at the feast were some Greeks. 21 So these came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and asked him, “Sir, we wish to see Jesus.” 22 Philip went and told Andrew; Andrew and Philip went and told Jesus. 23 ~~And Jesus answered them, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. 25 Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26 If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him.~~

The message from the priest was straightforward. When you preach, do it in such a way that the people who are thirsty to “see Jesus” can actually do so.

I’ve never forgotten those words in 30+ years of preaching. It’s a daunting goal. One that I alone cannot meet. But sometimes it happens.

  • Shane Claiborne:: Calcutta children where he learned what we meant and that we means we all share.

Tony Campolo:: Go through those doors and sponsor a child

Every year he preaches and teaches at HIM in Honolulu. He is now retired, but the power of his preaching is as strong as ever. I have never been influenced so forcefully and immediately by a sermon. He preached about the need to serve others, to feed the hungry, clothe the naked – that sort of thing. It culminated with the command/suggestion to go out the back doors and sign up to support a child in need through Compassion International that had tables set up ready to serve us. I’ve been helping to support Evelyn ever since.

That’s the kind of power and effectiveness John is talking about. And the effect of that kind of preaching is a community like that described in the Acts of the Apostles.

Radical Community

Our first reading from the Acts of the Apostles gives an idealized picture of the kind of community that is possible when built on the foundation of Jesus, crucified and risen.

Acts 4:32–35 Now the whole group of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one claimed private ownership of any possessions, but everything they owned was held in common. With great power the apostles gave their testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great grace was upon them all. There was not a needy person among them, for as many as owned lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold. They laid it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need.

These texts are not put down to be scripture – something to be read in churches – they were written down to support and encourage, to empower and guide, to care for fledgling “families” of Christians. They were written so that we would do the same. That we would support & encourage … our own communities and those who come after us.

How are you doing? I urge you to through those doors when you leave today and preach and teach and bear witness to the gospel of Jesus Christ: He is Risen!

No comments:

Post a Comment