Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Morris Funeral


title: Janice Pyron Morris Funeral 

author: St. Paul's, Monroe 

date: April 19, 2022


Note:

The liturgy for the dead is an Easter liturgy. It finds all meaning in the resurrection. Because Jesus was raised from the dead, we too, shall be raised.

The liturgy, therefore, is characterized by joy, in the certainty that "neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."

This joy, however, does not make human grief unchristian. The very love we have for each other in Christ brings deep sorrow when we are parted by death. Jesus himself wept at the grave of his friend. So, while we rejoice that one we love has entered into the nearer presence of our Lord, we sorrow in sympathy with those who mourn.

Opening

The second to last chapter of the Bible begins an awesome vision that culminates with words fit for end of a great symphony by a great composer.

20 The one who bears witness to these things says, “Yes, I’m coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus! 21 The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all.

That's how the Bible ends. Every time I read it or hear it I feel awe and wonder.

The passage we heard today is the beginning of that vision.

A new heaven and a new earth. Underscore "new". Not a reproduction of the old Jerusalem -- a new Jerusalem.

It's a fit place for God to move in and make a home. This is a new thing God is doing.

When I try to fathom what that's all about, I think it might make a difference that I'm old. The perspective is different when you've been around a while.

I'm going to make all things new. Not a repeat of the old, but something entirely new. Not new like, do it over, but made to the perfection fitting for God to dwell in.

Alpha and Omega, beginning and end.

I get shivers inside when I read these words. It's not just that I'm old and impressed by all the things I can't do now that I used to be able to do.

This is a cosmic vision of where everything is headed, beyond what we can imagine. And it's all good.

We can readily say, "Amen. Come, Lord Jesus."

These are words that some claim was the earliest Christian proclamation. The earliest faith statement. Maranatha. Come, Lord.

It's all good, and we give thanks.

A life together

When I spoke with Henry, and he described a little of the last week, I heard him speak of Janice with a deep intimacy, born of the 62 years together, a deep love. And then his voice kind of broke off, as if he began to see a vision. Not unlike the one I have just described.

Something new was being born out of the old. A new heaven and a new earth were about to born.

I had the distinct sense that he was ready to say, "Yes. Maranatha."

I can't begin to fathom the depth and breadth of what Janice's life was all about, or of what Henry and Janice's life together was all about.

For me it's like the ocean. Deep and largely beyond my knowing. Yet I know deep in my own life the truth of the final vision of John and the testimony of Jesus with his friend Martha.

I am the Resurrection and the life.

Resurrection

"Yes, Lord, I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, the one coming into the world."

At my age, I am so aware of what I don't know. But I know that if there's anything at all that's true in my life, it is that Jesus is the Resurrection and the Life.

That's what it's all about.

In ways I can't fathom, but in the end is the rock upon which I have built my life.

Words of gratitude

In a moment we will hear some of the grace and details of the life of Janice Pyron Morris.

I know you will hear them with awe and wonder. Really what there is to say is simple.

Yes. Come, Lord. I give thanks to the Lord, for he is gracious, and his mercy endures forever.

index

No comments:

Post a Comment